SA国际传媒

SA国际传媒

9/11 survivors travel to D.C. to push for full funding of WTC health program

The fund supports 137,000 people affected by toxic exposure from the attacks at the World Trade Center, as well as the plane crashes in Pennsylvania and at the Pentagon

US-NEWS-CONGRESS-SEPT11-HEALTH-PROGRAM-GET

Firefighters walk toward one of the towers at the World Trade Center before it collapsed after a plane hit the building on Sept. 11, 2001, in New York.

Jose Jimenez/Primera Hora/TNS

By Thomas Tracy
New York Daily News

NEW YORK 鈥 Sept. 11 survivors and advocates flocked to Washington, D.C., to again push for fully funding the embattled World Trade Center Health Program 鈥 a pivotal lifeline the Trump administration has tried to gut amid its proposed federal budget cuts.

A bipartisan bill to fully fund the program through 2090 was introduced in Congress Wednesday, officials said.

At the same time, 9/11 survivor John Feal has once again brought a small army of 9/11 survivors and advocates to D.C. to ensure that the bill gets the votes it needs to pass.

The bill, titled the 9/11 Responder and Survivor Health Funding Correction Act of 2025 is expected to be part of federal budget talks, which begin this March.

鈥淲e talk about cancers, COPD and respiratory illnesses killing our 9/11 heroes and survivors, but what else is killing our people is the toxic redundancy in Washington,鈥 said Feal, who took an army of survivors to D.C. in 2011 to demand the fund鈥檚 creation. 鈥淭hese men and women are traveling to D.C. with Stage 3 and Stage 4 cancers so they can continually and redundantly tell their story. But enough with this cruelty. Let鈥檚 get this done, and let us move on and take care of our illnesses in peace.鈥

The World Trade Center Health Program was created as part of the . The program, as well as the 9/11 Victims鈥 Compensation Fund were extended to provide lifetime care for the heroes and victims of 9/11, officials said. Yet the initial funding the program received couldn鈥檛 keep up with its extended mandate.

A bipartisan bill to fully fund the program was poised to pass in December, but at the eleventh hour was stripped from the national spending plan by Trump and Elon Musk.

Earlier this month, Musk鈥檚 steep cuts to the Centers for Disease Control led to 20% of the health program鈥檚 staff to be given pink slips, but the .

Advocates and lawmakers on both sides of the aisle agree the on the program鈥檚 ability to serve members, including big delays in getting coverage and care.

The health fund provides care to around 137,000 people who have been sickened from exposure to toxins during and after the 2001 terror attacks on the World Trade Center, as well as the hijacked plane crashes in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and at the Pentagon.

漏2025 New York Daily News.
Visit .
Distributed by

Trending
The NIOSH layoffs impact nearly 200 employees, including mining safety and protective equipment programs as part of a broader federal workforce reduction under a Trump-era executive order
Farmington Hills police officers arrived to find fire showing from the house and reports of people trapped inside
Measles outbreak spreads across Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico, surpassing 2024 case totals as the CDC warns of rising risk in low-vaccination communities nationwide
Severe storms swept across several states, triggering dozens of warnings and causing a warehouse collapse